Straight Option Deal

2 Replies

I'm currently negotiating with a seller with a straight option deal.  We both have an understanding that i am willing to give him a deposit to lock in a property and with that I have the first option to purchase.  If i decide not to purchase the property or assign it to someone else i would lose my deposit.  So, I need some inputs in regards terms.  I want to  know how much deposit should I give the seller for a 800K property?  How long should I have the option for?  3 months, 6 months, 1 year ?  I already added an additional term indicating if I pay 1k i can extend the term for like 3 months.  Trying to use less money as possible and gain leverage.  I have a few international buyers in line but just in case it falls out I still have time to look for other buyers.

a 30 day option should be sufficient time if you already have a buyers list.  

$100 option consideration is all you need.

You could include in your option contract that you will pay an additional $100 for a 30 day extension plus an additional 30 days to close.

Think about this... how much money does a real estate agent pay a seller to tie up their house for a SIX month listing agreement?  Not a penny!

You do not need to pay a lot of money get get an Option.  

I have paid less than $100 to get options on multi-million dollar homes.  And I have paid $10 to get an option on old run down cheap junkers I planned to wholesale.

The price of the home does not matter.   Your biggest option consideration is YOUR time and effort to find a buyer.

I have even had a seller pay me $1500 to take an option on their house - it was a split on the $ needed for marketing for a Highest Bidder Sale.

If you ask you get.  If you don't ask, you don't get.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.