• CA AZ TX
Votes |
Using a VA loan, there's a good chance your RE agent hates it

Erik Browning
  • Lender
  • CA AZ TX
Posted Jun 28 2022, 21:51

This is how the conversation goes:

Me - We deal with quite a bit of VA loans and help both active duty and the veteran community get into homes

Agent - Ugh, sorry to hear that

Me - What do you mean? 

Agent - Oh no one likes the VA loan, you have to make sure there aren't pests in the home. You have to schedule an inspection (OH NO!!). No one likes when you have to get a contractor in to get rid of the termites and repair anything.

Me - Interesting. So buyers/investors should buy homes with active pest infestations in them? How about you - how about we get your home infested with termites? 

Agent - Well, um, they only put 0% down to buy a home.

Me - Are the offers they're making the same amount as another conventional loan offer?

Agent - Well, yeah. They're identical most of the time.

Me - Then does it matter that it's 0% down if it's the exact same amount? The seller gets exactly the same amount of $$ I personally comb through every document the investor/buyer sends me. They are rock solid before I issue a preapproval and the loan will absolutely go through. It sounds to me like you are lazy and bad at your job. You probably want to remove every single contingency also and leave your investor/buyer out to dry in the event of a major discovery?

Agent - Well how else am I supposed to win a deal?

Me - Appeal to both the seller and the seller's agent? Find out the root cause for the departure of the seller? Get creative? It sounds like I'm doing your job now. Great to see you represent buyer and investors this way - especially the military folks. It really is a tragedy that you have to order a pest inspection and use a handful of sales techniques to get a buyer into into a home.

Agent - Thanks for understanding. I have to get back to my Lexus that I love more than my children.

Riverside, California

Loading replies...