VA Loan Investment Questions

8 Replies

You very well can use your VA loan for investment opportunities. You have to live in the property for at least one year from what I've been learning. That also means that you can use it to buy up to 4 units and live in one. Or, you could just buy a SFR and live in it for a year, or however long and once you get new orders or whatever you can purchase a new one upon arriving at your new location, while keeping your old one so long as they don't exceed 450k. You can also refinance your VA loan with another bank and replenish the 450k limit that you get (depending on your location the amount can go up). I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions. I'll be glad to help if I can.

That's what I read, the only problem is the unit I want to purchase is in Savannah Ga and I just got to Wyoming for recruiting. So there is no way I would be able to live there for a year. 

Nick,

If you are going to be in Wyoming for awhile, what I would recommend is buying a 2-4 unit place you can live in while you are recruiting with your VA loan, put some sweat equity in it with new paint, landscaping, etc and either sell when you PCS to Savannah. Or you can refinance the Wyoming property, pull the equity out that you have gained through 3 years (or whatever time on station) of ownership and use the extra money for closing costs, etc on the Savannah purchase.

Hit me up when you get to Savannah, I did 7+ years in the Army and now invest full time. My mortgage broker is the **** when it comes to VA loans and funky investor stuff.

-Curtis

I currently just bought a house with my VA loan. I'm using it as a investment buy house hacking. I'm renting out 2 rooms to 2 of my Marine buddies and they are completely covering the mortgage. So basically In a years time, they will technically payed off 12k of my mortgage. And if I wait 2 years before selling the house, I will of had them pay off 24k

So when I sell the house I theoretically get 24k for free in my pocket.

If by package deal you mean obtaining multiple properties...No. VA loan is for a primary residence and not meant to be an investment vehicle.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you