18 months left in military. Retire in 2 years?

10 Replies

I have about 18 months left in the navy, I have been trying to acquire enough rental properties to bring in around what my paycheck in the military is currently. I'm stationed in Hawaii so real estate investing isn't as easy here. I have a 40k line of credit available that I would like to use to put money down on a few properties. Where's the best area to look for package deals offering seller financing with money down?

@Zeek Granston , I don't think you'll find an "area" with package deals/seller financing. Consider what areas you can leverage some kind of competitive advantage: e.g. you grew up town A or your cousin is a contractor in town B. Then compare them to each other and start looking for deals/opportunities.

@Zeek Granston Another option is to invest locally on Oahu, and build enough equity that you can then use to turn into cashflow properties when you are done in 18 months. The VA loan allows you to get in for no money down, and then you can use that line of credit to force appreciation. Let me know if I can help!

@Andrew Postell I'm not sure honestly, where ever my investments take me. I'm open to anything.

@Zeek Granston I would suggest you postpone retirement until you have a better plan. I did 24 years, but I started planning 10 years out. Since you don't seem to be sitting on a ton of cash, you should make a decision where you will retire, then start learning the real estate market of that area. In the meantime, I would pay off all of my consumer debt and reduce expenses as much as possible so that when you retire, your money will go further. You may be able to generate some money wholesaling property in HI or possibly doing a rehab and flip. I would hate to hear that you were sleeping on the beach in Waikiki as a homeless veteran, so get proactive and take charge of your future. Maybe you can slide into a GS12 job or something in retirement.

@zeek granston, your post and bio are confusing. You said you plan on retiring from the Navy in 18 months but have only been in for 7 years??!!

Lots of good advice, and I would highly recommend staying in a bit longer in order to take advantage of having that stead paycheck/w2. Once that steady income disappears, you will find it much harder to secure any type of financing, let alone a VA loan.

Figure out where you want to retire to, or get a few places in mind and then start researching those areas. Use the time you have to save cash like crazy in case you actually decide to get out of the Navy. Your bio says you own your primary residence free and clear?? If so, consider moving out of that property, renting it out and finding another SFH or MFH to purchase. It’s gonna take a handful of years to completely replace the income your earning now. Good luck. Keep us posted as to the progress.

@Zeek Granston

Man O' Man, it sounds like you're doing it right. I shout what you just described from the mountaintops, if only all my VA clients did what you do.

OK, the market for seller financing is tough, it's not typical in my market (San Diego) because of the fast pace. I would look in markets that are slower that have good population draws (Colleges, employment, etc). A great area that I know about is Conway Arkansas. It's a small town with three different colleges, and close enough to little rock to draw commuters. Places like that. If you're ever interested in SoCal I can point you to a few places. 

Best Regards, 

Ben

Ben Biggs, Real Estate Agent in CA (#02016327)
619-987-8294

@Zeek Granston

Think you have some other considerations as  you retire and transition , like where are you going to live and do you see yourself managing the properties yourself.  Meanwhile , what @Duc Ong said about building equity  while you can  and then using that  as a jumping of point in your real estate investing .  

@Zeek Granston We have some military members in our network that are living and investing in Hawaii and can introduce you to them. One is doing new construction on the big island and may be looking for partners/investors. I sent you a note to discuss more. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.