New to BP and seeking advice

2 Replies

I EASed (ETS) back in January and I've been saving for awhile. I recently got back pay for VA disability and that was a good chunk of money, all in all I have $35,000 saved up and have never used the VA loan. I want to invest in rental properties and was wondering which markets would be great to invest in and some advice on how to take advantage of the VA loan.

@Joett Ocasio the most important item to understand about VA loans is that you have to occupy the property to qualify for that type of a loan. A VA loan requires no down payment, has no PMI, but will require you to live in it. So if you were to use a VA loan to buy a duplex, live in one side, rent out the other side, that would be something that loan type would allow.

If you wanted to invest in real estate that you DON'T live in then you would likely need a "conforming" loan - a loan regulated by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac - and those require 15% downpayment minimum and they would have PMI at that down payment amount. There are lots of other loan types out there too but "conforming" is the most popular since the rates and terms are lower.

Feel free to ask more questions if you need but I hope this helps in some way.

Congrats on becoming a civilian, if it's what you wanted.  :-)  (I got medically retired and wasn't happy, but whatever...lol)  Also, congratulations on the chunk of change! 

First, I recommend you learn all you can before spending that money on anything.  Read the forums.  Watch the webinars.  Listen to the podcasts.  Read some of those books recommended at www.BiggerPockets/Books  Interact on the forums. :-) Definitely practice analyzing deals so you know a good deal when you finally find it. Figure out if you want to do buy and hold (which is what I do), BRRRR (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat), flip (not usually the best option for newbies, but if you're handy, maybe it's for you), whatever.

I don't know much about the VA loans. I've never used mine. (I buy another way.)

As for where to buy, most folks look in their town or those nearby.  But I hear it can be rough in CA.  Then again, so can buying/renting properties out of state.  If you decide to work from out of town, there's a recent blog post that might help.  

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/cities-re...

Thank you for your service and good luck with your plans!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here