Real Estate License in different states (PCS)

3 Replies

Hello, Do any of you or your spouses have a real estate license? How do you deal with always moving? I can see establishing yourself in a new town and being licensed in different states as being an issue. I’m A/D and I’m going to get my license, if nothing else, to learn the ins and outs of real estate. What has your experience been?

There are many people with multiple state licenses so long as you can justify the expense.

I'm PCSing to an only 18-month assignment in a part of the country I have no personal experience in and very little knowledge of. Not planning on seeking licensing there as by the time I were up to speed, I'd probably be moving again. Even if it were a state with direct reciprocity with one of my existing licenses, don't know that I'd be able to earn much business in such a short amount of time while holding down a day job.

@Sarah McCrystal-Harris the information that is taught in real estate licensing courses will not make you a smarter investor. I had the same idea. You will get better information on youtube and reading books than in a real estate license course. Also, you don't need a license to be an investor in any state. If you get a license, some states reciprocate, meaning that you could be an agent in one state with a license in another. The more states, the more fees that you will have to pay each year. You will also be required to continue your education to keep your license active. Honestly, most investors make more than the agents. Just saying.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.