Setting up a LLC, what agencies do I need to file it with?

3 Replies

Happy Christmas eve everyone,

When setting up a LLC, should I file the "operating agreement" with my local state government?

Andrew, it's dependent on the state.  I know Washington State does not require it.  I would check with the secretary of state to find out in your state.

@Andrew Pettit nice to meet a fellow Marine. Hope 29 stumps is treating you well. As mentioned above it would certainly depend on which state you are filing the LLC with. If you just google "Filing LLC in "X" state" and it should bring up the proper government department. Please make sure you contact the government agency and not any of the ads that show up. When you call, be honest. Tell them you've never done this and are looking for the right information to help you file correctly. I haven't worked with every state department but I have worked with a lot and they have always been helpful with at least telling me where to go to file the correct items. There are plenty of services that you can pay and they will do this for you but with a phone call or two and a few minutes online you can do it yourself. Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback Andrew and Aaron. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here