VA loan requirement to occupy within 60 days workaround?

2 Replies

I've been studying the real estate game for a while now and I haven't been able to find a workaround for the requirement to occupy the property within 60 days. I would like to know what circumstance would allow for the max period (12 months). In my case I EAS in 6 months and would like to get the ball rolling back home. Would I be able to purchase the home and rent it out in the interim? 

@Flavio Garcia When I got my VA loan I signed a few documents stating that I would live in the property and that was it. There was no checking up on me or calls after I owned the property to make sure I actually lived there. You ever have any questions on anything dealing with the VA I am more than happy to help.

Originally posted by @Flavio Garcia :

I've been studying the real estate game for a while now and I haven't been able to find a workaround for the requirement to occupy the property within 60 days. I would like to know what circumstance would allow for the max period (12 months). In my case I EAS in 6 months and would like to get the ball rolling back home. Would I be able to purchase the home and rent it out in the interim? 

Your spouse can satisfy the occupancy requirement on your behalf if your military duties have you elsewhere, but more than likely this is purely academic unless you have a job already lined up (employer-signed offer letter with guaranteed base salary, start date, etc) in your pocket as of this exact moment, since you are within 1 year of EAS, have not re-upped, and are inquiring about a VA loan.

S/F & slay

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you