I'm closing on a HELOC and want to use my VA Loan also

4 Replies

Hello all,

I have a couple questions about REI in relation to the topic. I own my house free and clear and was just approved for a HELOC. The plan is to move out of the current home and house hack using my VA Loan. Then, I'd use the HELOC to purchase others using conventional loan(s). I'm closing soon on the HELOC and I don't have the pre-approval for the VA loan.

How would the HELOC affect the VA Loan? Will the full value of the HELOC be included in my DTI?

The answers will determine my next move so, thanks in advance for any feeedback.

@Jabari Jones , my question is: would the (future) rent coming in from your current home cover the the HELOC repayments (and other property expenses) once you draw out the full amount?

ie. Don't include the income that you'd be hoping to get out of the HELOC.

If the answer is yes, then that means your DTI should not be unduly affected.

Then, the added income from wisely investing your HELOC would be the bonus!

[But, if the answer is no, then that HELOC will likely adversely affect your DTI!]

Sounds like a plan. Thank you for your service. All the best...

@Jabari Jones ,

The HELOC will not impact your DTI until you draw from it. It is like a credit card in that, if you have a zero balance then it does not count against you. Once you take money out, though, or even if you plan to use the HELOC for a down payment, then the lender will factor what your payment to the HELOC will be in determining your DTI.

@Edward B. @Brent Coombs Thanks for clearing that up. I spoke with my lender today and she confirmed. With that, I'll be looking to get my pre approval on my VA Loan and moving forward in this journey! Thanks again!!

@Jabari Jones

Time for someone like you to kick that VA loan to the curb!  

Forget about VA and all that VA Funding Fee cost and regulations BS! That loan is for 1st time buyers anyway, you are past that stage.

PLUS, regardless of how patriotic sellers are, their listing agents will usually try to avoid contracting with a Vet using VA over a buyer using a Fannie Mae purchase loan for multiple reasons.

Go head and Max that HELOC approval on that free and clear property to the highest LTV possible. I don't care if its a .500 or 1.00% higher in rate to get to 90%, get approved for MAX ltv.

Then, on the next purchase of a primary or 2nd home, take 10% from your HELOC and for an 80/10/10 on the purchase using another purchase money 2nd.

Basically it 100% No PMI financing, better than a VA loan.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.