Long Distance Landlord- Military

11 Replies

Hey!

I hope everyone is well!  I am active duty, currently stationed up in the PNW and I have a rental property in DC. I just recently learned (via my tenants reaching out to me as a last resort) that my property management has been dropping the ball big time so I terminated them.  I wish I could fly out there to get everything squared away but it is just not possible right now.  I have set up a new lease agreement, arranged payment via Cozy and lined up local contacts for a handyperson, HVAC, plumbing, elec etc. but I am curious as to how to find services to go out and do quarterly/ biannual interior inspections and/or key turn over.  Would appreciate thoughts/referrals, particularly in NW Washington DC.  TIA!!

@April M. Kimble Hi April! Welcome to the PNW. As for your long distance question, this is a good start. I would also post on a few other forums about landlording, as well as looking at the marketplace. Once you get some suggestions, call and vet them. Make sure they are reliable and will perform the task you want them to perform. Hope that helps. Give me a shout out if you have any more questions. Would also love to help you expand your portfolio up here.

@April M. Kimble , I use home warranties as my first line of 'defense'.  That way I dont have to find zillions of different contractors.  I could manage my properties from the moon.  Literally.  ;-) 

Minor repairs, that are not maintenance related, can usually be done by a handyman.  

The first thing is to insure the property is 'livable'. 

@Kenneth Williams - true story- after I posted, a friend I was stationed in with Germany 15 years ago called me out of the blue to catch up.  Turns out she is stationed in the DC area and starting to get into real estate as well and we were able to work out a deal. Gotta love LOA!  Thanks for reaching out!

April - I'm former Active Duty and my wife and I have been Military Landlord's for over 10 years. To where, we've purchased properties utilizing VA loans and then renting the house once we PCS'ed. Now, we have a nice little portfolio throughout the southeast and we don't utilize a property manager for any of our properties.  We simple use a home warranty (2-10 or American Home Shield), which is ~$80/mo and offers services for most issues that renters have.  Since we manage the rental ourselves, we have a clear SOP manual that we review with the tenants upfront to ensure that they are aligned with our processes prior to move-in.

Hope this helps,

Kyle I.

Originally posted by @April M. Kimble :

@Kenneth Williams - true story- after I posted, a friend I was stationed in with Germany 15 years ago called me out of the blue to catch up.  Turns out she is stationed in the DC area and starting to get into real estate as well and we were able to work out a deal. Gotta love LOA!  Thanks for reaching out!

Great Post April! I am currently house hacking a 2BR/2BA condo in Illinois, renting out the 2nd bedroom, and using that income to do renovations, with plans to transfer out of the military in 2021. I don't plan on staying in IL, so this is all great information!I would also need a long-distance property manager.

Funny this thread popped back up after I posted it a year ago- I just came up on orders to Korea last week! Thankfully, I had this past year to get my feet wet doing the remote landlord thing from across the country - now I get to figure it out from the other side of the world 😅 Totally appreciate all the info sharing and support!!

Possible sources of home inspections. Independent Insurance Adjusters, Equifax/retail credit bureau and an actual Home Inspection Services in the DC area.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you