VA home loan house hacking in college town?

3 Replies

I’m looking to purchase my first property in the next 12 months before I get out of the Military. I will be attending grad school after I get out in september. I was wondering if anyone had experience 1) house hacking with a va home loan? 2) Investing in college towns? I’ve done my research and am ready to jump in while I still have a W-2 income. Any input would be awesome, thanks in advance.

House hacking in a college town is a great option. There is always a good amount of people willing to rent per room. That's how I started my investing adventure. I just bought a traditional 3/2/2 SFH and got roommates since I hadn't heard of "house-hacking" the multifamily homes at the time.

For the VA loan, I don't have input on that from personal experience but I've heard really good things about down payment and the interest rates.

I have a group of military members renting out one of my properties near an airforce base. It's a win/win for everyone because each one's portion of rent is around 1/3 of their BAH and it's less than 3 miles from base. If you could get into something like that, it would be legit. 

Hey Nicholas. House Hacking is always a good idea to get started IMO. Qualifying for the VA Loan is relatively easy 0 down etc. Plenty of benefits. I'd encourage you to do some analysis on your area don't just make the assumption the market is good because of the college although that is a good indicator. I've house hacked twice not a ton of exp but i'd be glad to answer any questions. Plug in with some other guys that have experience to i.e @Markian Sich

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you