Should I refinance. And why?

1 Reply

Looking to get into full on real estate investing in a few years after lots of education. With that being said I have learn a lot just by owning my own home but have so much more to learn.

My question deals with refinancing, if it would be smart to do now and what benefits I could get from it. A little back info on my property Im wanting to look into refinancing. Currently owe $14k less than the Zillow "estimate". We have been living in the house for almost 2 years now and have never had a late payment, we actually pay a very small additional principal payment each month.

We ended up getting a no money down VA loan for the full price of the home and rolled our closing costs into the mortgage. Locked in a 3.875% rate. With all of that said, would I benefit from looking into a refinance and how. I'm not sure if there is any further information you may need, so if I missed something please let me know.

@Brandon Tobalski

First find out what your house is actually worth. Best way would be have a realtor run comps on the place. Zillow estimate is notoriously inaccurate.

Second, compare that value to the remaining balance on your mortgage. That is your equity. Most banks won’t do a cash out refinance until equity is above a % (20-25 is what I have seen, but each lender is different).

You may have other options but hard to say so talking to a bank might be the best way to explore those paths.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you