Hickam Pearl Harbor

21 Replies

Orders are coming for Hickam-Pearl Harbor, reporting May.

I'm looking at Iroquois Point/Ewa Beach since kayaking to work sounds better than fighting traffic.

Ideally getting a house with a lanai or living space to AirBNB would be great. I do understand that Hawaii has some weird rules.

I am motivated to purchase and sell after moving for a profit, or have a profitable rental property after moving.

What suggestions does anyone have?

Hi! We spent four years at Iroquois point. It’s a beautiful place to live and we lived there before they gave it a nice remodel.   I went back for a vacation and saw that they have a nice big beautiful road leading into it so traffic should be less obnoxious. Unfortunately, the planes going into Honolulu fly so ridiculously low and they are extremely extremely extremely loud. I remember flying in after a visiting Arizona and looking down into my yard and seeing my dog In the back yard. Suuuuuper close 😂

Hey @Dan R.   Definitely a doable plan.  Some keys to success will be being flexible on location and being handy in doing home repairs.  Our most recent client to do what you're looking to do is @Christopher Joseph .  He killed it in Ewa Beach!  I'm sure he'd be more than happy to send you a few pictures and details of his journey.

@Dan R. Are you working with a realtor? If not, I'd be happy to help you. I'm active duty Navy, live in Kailua but work on Ford Island and I'm also a licensed realtor in Hawaii. PM me if you'd like my services.

As for AirBnB-ing a room, Hawaii recently passed a law that essentially made short term rentals for less than 30 days illegal. That's probably over 90% of all listings on AirBnB, VRBO, etc for Hawaii. They've started to "enforce" it so I'd advise you look into it further before hedging your plans to offset mortgage costs with short term rentals.

What you can do, and I highly recommend, is to rent rooms out for 3 to 6 months depending on HOA rules, if any. There are plenty of military renters on island who prefer the flexibility of short term leases (30+ days to 1 year), many even opt for month to month rentals.

Will you be working at Pearl City peninsula? Have you checked rules and/or restrictions on kayaking to/from wherever you'll be stationed?

Sam

@Dan I can introduce you to several solid real estate investors, agents, lenders, etc. in Hawaii. I built a pretty solid network while I was out there (just left in June). Let me know what you need!

@Dan R. I think one niche to look at would be a place that can pass the VA inspection, but needs updating. After renovation, you could sell or rent out by the room, which might be more profitable than renting the entire place.

Originally posted by @Meghan Marquez :

Hi! We spent four years at Iroquois point. It’s a beautiful place to live and we lived there before they gave it a nice remodel.   I went back for a vacation and saw that they have a nice big beautiful road leading into it so traffic should be less obnoxious. Unfortunately, the planes going into Honolulu fly so ridiculously low and they are extremely extremely extremely loud. I remember flying in after a visiting Arizona and looking down into my yard and seeing my dog In the back yard. Suuuuuper close 😂

Thanks for the heads up on that. Due to the tiny nature of the island, that seems unavoidable if I want to be close to base.

Originally posted by @Isi Nau :

Hey @Dan R.  Definitely a doable plan.  Some keys to success will be being flexible on location and being handy in doing home repairs.  Our most recent client to do what you're looking to do is @Christopher Joseph .  He killed it in Ewa Beach!  I'm sure he'd be more than happy to send you a few pictures and details of his journey.

Thank you. I can do some home repairs, but a full on rehab is not the game I want to play while there are little ones in diapers. I'll reach out to Chris

Originally posted by @Sam Shin :

@Dan R. Are you working with a realtor? If not, I'd be happy to help you. I'm active duty Navy, live in Kailua but work on Ford Island and I'm also a licensed realtor in Hawaii. PM me if you'd like my services.

As for AirBnB-ing a room, Hawaii recently passed a law that essentially made short term rentals for less than 30 days illegal. That's probably over 90% of all listings on AirBnB, VRBO, etc for Hawaii. They've started to "enforce" it so I'd advise you look into it further before hedging your plans to offset mortgage costs with short term rentals.

What you can do, and I highly recommend, is to rent rooms out for 3 to 6 months depending on HOA rules, if any. There are plenty of military renters on island who prefer the flexibility of short term leases (30+ days to 1 year), many even opt for month to month rentals.

Will you be working at Pearl City peninsula? Have you checked rules and/or restrictions on kayaking to/from wherever you'll be stationed?

Sam

Thank you. My old Platoon Leader is going to be my new boss and told me about guys kayaking to Pearl Harbor/Hickam.

Regarding the AirBNB, I had heard something about that a while back. The good thing about laws is they are generally poorly written, and there must be a way to break the intent of the law, and follow the letter of the law as well. It'll give me a project to look at.

The short term lease is something that would probably work pretty well, thank you for the suggestion.

Go Army, Beat Navy.

Dan

Originally posted by @Duc Ong :

@Dan R. I think one niche to look at would be a place that can pass the VA inspection, but needs updating. After renovation, you could sell or rent out by the room, which might be more profitable than renting the entire place.

That's an idea thank you.

Congrats on your orders to Hawaii! We’re on orders and arrived a year ago. We haven’t purchased yet. It was actually our original plan to go Iroquois Point, but we ended up finding a rental jewel on the Windward side, Kailua. 

DO keep in mind, closer in Hawaii doesn’t necessarily mean faster ;-) we are farther but it takes less time as we go against traffic.

As far as investing, check out Kapolei. It is BOOMING with new commercial and residential developments, newer (with central AC, surprisingly not as common here!) properties that can get sweet equity by the time you PCS out. Kapolei won’t add too much on your traffic to base compared to Ewa. 

Kapolei is Airbnb legal. 

@Dan R.

One of the docs I work with lives in Ewa and kayaks to Makalapa clinic on Pearl. He said it does not save him any time over driving but it is a good workout. He said it’s about an hour either way.

As far as planes flying over, the commercial planes landing at HNL airport fly in low over Ewa. But other parts of the island do not have this except for the small airplanes and helicopters that are always flying around. They make much less sound. I moved to Mililani when we PCS’d here last year and bought a townhouse. My commute to Pearl was about 25-35 minutes in the morning and 40-60 in the afternoons going home. What someone said about distance not equating to time here is true. I know many docs who live in Kailua and their commute time is the same as mine although miles-wise they are much farther.

@David Pere I just PCS’d here last summer and bought a townhouse. Not sure if I’m going to sell or rent when I leave in 2021 but I’d love some awesome contacts if your wouldn’t mind sharing.

Separate question: I see agents with the military flat fee advertising $5K flat fees. Does that mean $5K total to sell, or is that just their fee and I’d still have to pay the buyer’s agent also? Just wondering if these flat fee agents are a good deal or not.

@Brenden Scott at your service. Active duty Navy, Realtor, Property Manager. PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

I've seen the flat fee agents/brokers, too. I don't know how they structure it, perhaps itemizing fees, hourly rates, etc. Do your due diligence and ask them.

As for commissions, the seller pays BOTH agents. Typically your agent will charge you between 4 to 6 percent of sale price which is further split *usually* 50/50 with the cooperating brokerage. Each brokerage then split it even further with their own agent in accordance with their contract.

Originally posted by @Brenden Scott :

@Constance Kawa-Small I did not know the Air BnB rule was region/city specific. How about Mililani? We also PCS’d here a year ago, and bought a 3/2.5 townhouse I’d like to rent or AirBnB if legal.

I didn’t see Mililani as exception to this law, so I’m assuming it’s not legal. But I also didn’t read the entire document. check out the full bill here: 

http://www4.honolulu.gov/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-238205/BILL089(18)%2C%20CD2%20190607.pdf 

Reviving this thread to ask a question: I need some help repairing some water damage to the ceiling and possibly wall of my living room. Leak was one time thing from kids flooding upstairs bathroom while bathing. Anyone have a recommendation for a good contractor that could come take a look? TIA!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you