Military overseas and using a VA loan

1 Reply

Does anyone know if I can use my VA loan while I'm overseas? I'm stuck on the "intent to live there" part with the policy. My plan was to purchase a 4plex and rent out 3 of the units and saving one for my home on record until a year pass and report. Anybody have insight on this? Cause technical it would mean I live there if I change everything to that address but I just won't actually be there, it'll be more of a demo unit.

@Marcus Cathren, don't play with fire. If you get caught it will NOT end well for you, mortgage fraud is a big deal.

Also, you don't want to abuse the system, if too many people do that we risk more restrictions on this wonderful benefit.

If you have a spouse, they can live in it, that would satisfy the occupancy requirement. Or, you can close up to 90-days prior to moving back and occupying.

Otherwise, look at a conventional loan, seller-financing, lease options, or some other way to get started.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you