Military BAH rates for CoLiving

5 Replies

Dyess AFB Area,

Someone told me they don’t allow full BAH for people Co-Living...

I have a relative that’s stationed at Dyess and is about to move to OKC. Prices have dropped in the last 4-6 months by 15-20k and he’s looking for options. My idea was to rent the place with individual leases by room. Or for him to sell Land contract.

I was then told that they arent allowing full BAH for Co-Living... I got out of the Air Force 3 years ago. Any one in the area doing Land Contract deals or renting per room in this area or close by? Have any advise?

Thank You in advance for any help and time

Dave Roe

@David Roe I am just down the road at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, Texas. However, I’ve never heard of this. Not to say it’s not a thing, but I have personally never come across it. I’ll ask my admin people, but I have roomed with buddies and know plenty of others who have and the rate at which they receive BAH has never been affected. From my understanding BAH is simply based off of if you have dependents or not With Dependent Rate (regardless of how many dependents there are) or Without Dependent Rate and the zip code of your Base or in certain cases your school. But like I said I’ll see if I can dig up any info on the matter.

Im pretty sure what is being referred to here is dual military couples.  Depending on what branch you are in, if your spouse is also in the military, you only rate one housing allowance, not two.  Some branches allow you to have two housing allowances with a military couple.  Other then that, I know plenty of people who have room mates and get full BAH.  Hard to say though, it is possible that under circumstances what is being discussed could also be true, however, it is unlikely.

When my wife and I were both active duty, we both received BAH.  It doesnt make sense to me because we were obviously living together but of course I did not run to anyone to complain about it. 

Originally posted by @Forrest Holden :

Im pretty sure what is being referred to here is dual military couples.  Depending on what branch you are in, if your spouse is also in the military, you only rate one housing allowance, not two.  Some branches allow you to have two housing allowances with a military couple.  Other then that, I know plenty of people who have room mates and get full BAH.  Hard to say though, it is possible that under circumstances what is being discussed could also be true, however, it is unlikely.

This is incorrect. My wife and I are both Active Duty military. She gets the "with dependents rate" and I get the "without dependents rate." Before we had children, we both received the "without dependents rate."

I worked as an S1 for many years in the Army - I have never heard of what the OP is referring to.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you