Can I use a VA loan for a duplex ?

7 Replies

First time posting , looking for some advice . I recently purchased my first duplex using the FHA loan (3 months ago) .i know the loan requires it to be my primary residence for 1 year of time before refinancing and moving out is an option .

I have been in the Military for 7 years and have the VA loan as a future option . With that said , a great job opportunity popped up a few hours away and will require me to move .

My plan as of now , if legally possible , is to take the job and buy another duplex near the new job using the VA loan and just rent out the other half of my first duplex until that loan is seasoned enough to pull my equity to pay down this next VA loan purchased duplex. Since it doesn't require any down payment . Does this sound like it would work out / has anyone ever used these two loan options in this order I'm thinking of ? Any input is greatly appreciated.

It ultimately depends on your lender to an extent, but things like upgrading to a larger home, moving more thn 50 miles for work, refinancing to conventional loan, etc. All can be used as justification to use the VA loan again.

@Anthony Politz You have to find out what your VA entitlement is first and then speak with your lender to make sure you do not accidentally use a restoration on your entitlement prematurely. You can buy a multi-family and live in and easily rent the other side out and you can repeat the process over and over. That is a great way to start Congrats on getting in the journey to freedom. looking forward to hearing more good stuff.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you