Tips on restoring a bathtub? Best course of action?

9 Replies

A tub in my unit has had paint chipping for the last year. I have tried using the paint sealer that's available in Home Depot, but it only seems to last around 8 months before it start chipping away again. The chipping isn't terrible, but it's noticeable. I just feel as if its going to get worse over time. 

I've heard that you can have a new tub cover measured and installed that goes over the existing tub. Is that a viable option and is that expensive? How does that compare to the spray on sealer that is professionally done? I have tiling around the tub and not ready to do a complete demo. Thanks in advance! 

I had to go back (waay back) to pull up a youtube video I saw quite a while ago regarding a product called Ekopel 2K for do it yourself reglazing of bathtubs.  More expensive than the stuff from the big box stores (but those products don't last very long) but less expensive than professional reglazing.  Adequate prep is vital when trying this yourself.

@David Czech

My experience with professional resurfacing (spraying) has been disappointing. The resurfacing lasted about a year and peeled off in chunks. The company honored their warranty and re-did the two tubs. The same thing happened a year later.

Maybe there are better products and better installers. I wouldn’t do it again based on our experience.

@David Czech my experience with glazing a tub has been better than @Bill Crow ’s experience.

We had a $300 expense in early 2018 and haven’t had complaints since.

It looked fine to me when I did our last annual inspection late last year.

If you can find a contractor to do it now-I think that’s the biggest question. If you Gina a contractor, and find the quote to be a palatable expense, I’d consider it as a course of action.

@David Czech

I had this done low and behold unbeknownst to me the tenant had a pet that she bathed in the tub. when I went back to the apartment for an inspection I saw the aftermath of what had occurred. It was wasted money.

Changing it over will cost around $1500 all in or $2k depending who you hire.

Good luck

Time is something you can’t buy back.

Angel

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you