Thoughts on siding repair

13 Replies

I have this hole in some vinyl siding, the problem is its faded very bad and I can't find a piece to come close to matching.

I was thinking about installing a white block and putting a door bell on it, unfortunately the house does not have a door bell and its a pretty stupid place for a door bell switch.

This is the rear of a house I am flipping.

Anything thoughts?

Looks about the right height for a railing. Even just a small section such as for an elderly person to hold on to while unlocking the door? Use one of those white blocks and screw the railing into that.

I would remove that piece and replace it with something close. There is a place by me that will sell siding by the piece. You could then take the old piece to Sherwin Williams and they can match the color on their computer. You can then paint that new piece.

I had something similar when Comcast installed the cable line too low at one of my houses. A truck caught the line and ripped it off the house, taking some siding with it. Comcast replaced those pieces of siding and painted them to match.

Sherwin Williams make a durable paint especially for vinyl siding. I've used it with good results. Replace the damaged piece then get a small sample size of this special paint and color match up. If you bring a piece of the correct siding color with you, they can usually do a good job matching the paint color.

@Rob K. LOL that paint idea is so simple how did I not think of this! I guess my brain is getting as old as my knees.

Thanks ! Actually the lumber yard gave me a sample size piece of siding for free. I already informed the buyer that I can not get a perfect match. I think paint will work great.

Pull a piece of siding from the bottom of the house somewhere and switch it with that piece , do it where bushes will hide it

@Matthew Paul I considered do that. The problem is this siding is old and brittle. I would really like to put as little stress as possible on this stuff. There is only 1 small bush on the house, so it would be tough to hide.

I may try this tho, if we ever get warm weather up here. Closing is in 2 weeks tho.

They make a tool for popping off siding , http://www.lowes.com/pd_76781-47120-SGY-TOOL2_0__?productId=3361552

@Mathew Paul is right, take a piece from the back of the house and use it to replace the piece in front it should be close to the same shade.

If you can somehow get a piece of the siding, maybe the broken off part, and take it Sherwin Williams. They can match the sheen and the color to just about spot on where you would have to be eyeball to siding to tell a difference. I have done this many times in the past for homeowners wanting a quick fix.

@John Moore As mentioned in my post, this is the rear of the house

@Damaris Sutton Thanks, i have already responded to Rob K and Annette this is what I plan on doing

I meant for you to take the piece off an obsecure section of the house.

If brittle, see of there is a bondo of some sort so u don't even have to take the piece off. bondo and paint. but the grain will not match.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you