Flooring in mid/higher end: looks vs. noise?

4 Replies

What flooring would you install in a mid to higher end 2nd floor rental where impact noise is an issue? Carpet is not an option.

The property is in a higher rent area; especially the first floor unit. I was planning to go with laminate on the 2nd floor living room and tile in the kitchen/half bath. Tile would be great, but possibly the noisiest option (impact noise) and the kitchen is right in the middle of the floor plan.

I treated the sub floor to reduce noise, but am now considering laminate or even vinyl (due to better moisture resiliency).

Is tile going to be much louder than the current existing sub floor (at least in terms of impact noise). I know the tile would help airborne noise.

@jay m this looks to not apply at the momment but in the future a product called Tyroc is great for sound attenuation. using this product you can put any standard flooring ontop and be above 50 iic rating. Tyro also works as a moister barrier especially if the current substrate takes on water. With Tyroc you will be able to use any of your flooring options and not have a worry about noise.

If carpet is not an option then area rugs on a hard surface will help. Hard-soled shoes on any hard surface will always be noisy to the downstairs neighbors. A shoes-off policy is difficult to enforce with tenants but perhaps in screening for renters you can find some folks that already live this way.

Have fun!

801‑712‑2823 | Podcast Guest on Show #41

Thanks Shawn & Doug.

I'll check Tyroc. I did use a layered subfloor with green glue, which made a difference.

Would you guys consider vinyl in a mid to higher end place? Maybe the grouteable stuff?

Originally posted by @Jay M. :
Thanks Shawn & Doug.

I'll check Tyroc. I did use a layered subfloor with green glue, which made a difference.

Would you guys consider vinyl in a mid to higher end place? Maybe the grouteable stuff?

no vinyl please

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you