What Do You Use For Const. Timeline

2 Replies

I am working on a spec build now and curious to know what everyone is using to put together a construction timeline or outlook?

Obviously it depends on the scope of the work. In my area the subs are rather busy and if the schedule isn't tight you may loose a good sub for a few weeks and that can't happen. Need to leave some breathing room to anticipate things occuring. On my current job power was supposed to turn on Monday and it didn't happen until Wed. Some subs had generators others didn't. Carrying costs are an issue as well as getting the single family house ready for selling season. I project the timing for each job to be done avoid "barn dances". People getting into each others way and provide a second area within the house to avoid any missing productive time. The subs appreciate getting onto and off a projects as quickly as possible as time is money for them too. Realistic projections for time management (production) is a key, having all supplies on the job site when required and if Murphys Law occurs as it often does you can work around it. Sometimes we think Murphy was an optimist. On my type of construction the planning phase includes the sub as to what time frame it will take him to accomplish his function and to merge it into the other aspects of the job and make sure they blend as you anaticipatee. Sory for not having a magic formula.

John, thanks for the insight!
Do you have a certain timeline that you use?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here