Joining new drywall to old

8 Replies

In a current rehab we are adding a couple of walls that will join existing walls at right angles. The existing walls and ceilings are textured, and we will texture the new walls as well. The problem is, how do we tape and mud the corners between the old and new? Do we need to sand down the old walls where they meet the new?

The texture on the walls is not very heavy - it's known around here as "knock-down" or "orange peel". The ceiling texture is popcorn.

you shouldn't need to sand down the corner on the old wall. Just tape it up as is and when you texture the new wall texture into the new wall to give a seamless look.

I would definitely remove some of the existing popcorn and texture. It will help when blending the new with the old. Unfortunately, whether you do or don't remove any of the old texture you will always see signs of the work.

Kyle is right on the inside corner. Just tape it and mud as usual and it will be fine after new texture is sprayed. As for the ceiling it is very hard to match popcorn. It can be done but takes some time fine tuning on a sample. Me personally I would probably take the time to scrape the ceilings and re-texture them when you spray your walls.

If you're going to tape the corners, you need to scrape off the texture so you can get the tape to lie down flat. Otherwise, you get lumpy corners. Popcorn is virtually impossible to match, but it's not hard to scrape off. (I just finished taking popcorn off a kitchen ceiling.) I'd definitely re-do the ceiling from scratch & try to match the walls as closely as possible. You're going to have the sprayer going anyway!

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I read a suggestion on a DIY forum to tape the wall/ceiling joint flat (butt the tape into ceiling instead of overlapping) so you don't have to disturb then try to match the popcorn. Has anyone used this method?

One of the rooms needs a patch in the ceiling where we relocated the light, so I'll probably just scrape an retexture that one, but I really don't want to do that on all the ceilings if I don't have to. We're trying to finish this project before the end of the month, so anywhere I can save time is good.

My husband did drywall for a while when he was in high school, so that's come in handy for us. When we bought our first house, there was a wall with faux brick, so we had to remove the drywall and replace it. We sanded down the corner of the adjacent wall where the tape would go, and butted the drywall up against the popcorn ceiling so it wouldn't be disturbed. Turned out fine.

We are in the process of remodeling one of our bathrooms now, and removed all the drywall except the ceiling. The original tape came off the edges of the ceiling when we removed the old drywall so we won't need to sand it, but my husband said if it hadn't done that, we'd need to sand it down so the tape would stick to it and not be too thick.

So, in short, I'd sand down the adjacent walls so the tape will stick and not be too thick, and then butt the new drywall up to the ceiling so the popcorn isn't disturbed.

I think I would cut the taper off the edge of the sheetrock panel to get a square edge, apply white adhesive caulk to the now-square edge of the sheet and then press it tightly into the now-textured corner before putting the screws in. Smooth off any caulk which bulges out of the joint and so not 'tape' the corner in anyway. Just texture the new sheetrock up to the corner and leave it that way.

stephen
------------

Originally posted by @Sylvia B. :
In a current rehab we are adding a couple of walls that will join existing walls at right angles. The existing walls and ceilings are textured, and we will texture the new walls as well. The problem is, how do we tape and mud the corners between the old and new? Do we need to sand down the old walls where they meet the new?

The texture on the walls is not very heavy - it's known around here as "knock-down" or "orange peel". The ceiling texture is popcorn.

Thanks again, everyone. You've given us a lot of good ideas. I appreciate the help!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you