Concrete patio slab - resurfacing?

6 Replies

So one of our rentals has a concrete slab in the backyard - it covers the entire area (700 sq feet) from garage to building to property line. It looks like crap and every spring I have to shop vac up all the loose gravel that winter causes. This year was so bad rock sized chunks are coming off of it.

So my questions is... what can I do to it to seal/smooth it out and prevent this happening every year? Can I put self leveling concrete over it or do I need to have a contractor come out?

I have the same issue at one of my properties, but not nearly as big of a slab. My slab was actually covered by asphalt. I have now removed the asphalt and found the original slab to be cracked and in need of repair. I plan to have my GC patch it with concrete and then cover it with epoxy paint. But I am not sold on my plan, so I am interested to see what other ideas are out there!

This post has been removed.

Thanks @Nick Keesee we probably need something different as I know some cracks are more than a quarter inch

tear off the slab and replace. expensive, yes... but everything else is just a patch job.

I came across this post and thought id chime in, even though it is a couple years old. 

There are  two products I reccomend. They are ROCKTITE and QUIKCRETE hydraulic cement. The ROCKTITE is more liquid and fluid, great for pouring in cracks and holes on flat concrete. It stays liquid for about 10-15 minutes, then suddenly hardens up in a matter of a minute or two. 

QUIKCRETE hydraulic cement is better for holes in walls and block, broken or missing corners and such. The hydraulic cement is thicker and can be applied with a scraper or putty knife. 

Both are easily mixed with water in a bucket. Simply wipe area with a damp rag to smooth and remove excess. 

Maybe one of these products will work for you, along with a sealer or paint. They are excellent for repairs and small jobs. I have not tried them on such a large area, but may be cost effective in some situations. I am curious to see what you decided to do. Best of luck!

Spelling correction....ROCKITE for Anchoring and Patching.  Commercial Grade QUIKRETE Hydraulic Water-Stop Cement. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here