DIY faux granite countertops

10 Replies

anyone try this, and how did it work out?

Do you mean prefabricated slabs of real granite or caesarstone quartz from China?

Those are awesome.

DIY is not easy, mostly depends on how finicky your end user will be. A good stone craftsman has special skills.

That said, I can buy pre-fab slabs and have my fixer guys cut them with a skil saw with a diamond blade and have good looking counters, depending on how the ktichen/bath is laid out.

Do you mean prefabricated slabs of real granite or caesarstone quartz from China? Those are awesome.

DIY is not easy, mostly depends on how finicky your end user will be. A good stone craftsman has special skills.

That said, I can buy pre-fab slabs and have my fixer guys cut them with a skil saw with a diamond blade and have good looking counters, depending on how the ktichen/bath is laid out.

If you mean applying fake paint stuff over an existing countertop, I don't know, but it seems like a recipe for failure.

I was speaking of the painted countertops covered with the "fifty coats in one." I have seen ones finished that I swore were "the real deal." For less than fifty bucks I picked up a number of supplies and this week-end I will be painting the countertops in an old hunting travel trailer behind our automotive repair shop. If that goes well, I have several people who will allow me to Faux granite their counters for free with the promise that if I don;t do great that they will not hold me accountable [these are all people who have been planning on having their countertops replaced anyway. I love the idea of being able to totally customize the colors and shades.

Hi Vicky

That sounds interesting. I may have to check it out. I would consider using something like that in a lower income area.

In my market, saving a few thousand could cost double that in sales price, assuming that the neighborhood supports granite.

Thanks for the tip, let us know how the tests go.

Peter

My sister did her counters about 4 years ago like that. Based on her experience, I'd say: it is what it is. Meaning, it looks good, but the bottom line is that it's paint & if it's not taken care of, you can pretty easily destroy it. It scratches, you can't put anything hot on it, you may have chipping at the edges, etc. And we all know how conscientious renters are, right?

Kathleen - not sure if you are talking about the Rustoleum product or not, I have heard those complaints before. I have had my counter tops in my personal house painted with Rustoleum Countertop restoration for over a year, heat does not affect them, it doesn't scratch and it is not chipping even with 2 children under 10. If someone has chipping issues, they probably didn't do a good preparation job.

We used this product over green countertops about five years ago:

http://www.gianigranite.com/

The only wear was around the sink where the tenant has scrubbed the area too hard. When they moved out we repaired the area. I was redoing one of the hardwood floors in the house and in the end, double sealed the countertop with a coating of clear Varnathane in addition to what the kit contained. To date, things are still holding up.

Gail

I have used the faux granite paint on the counters and it ended up looking much better than what I was expecting. It provided a quick and cheap updated look to the kitchen. I no longer have the house so I do not know how the paint has held up over the years.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you