• Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
How unique are keys and remote keys

Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted Jun 5 2014, 06:14

When you go buy entrance locks at home centers, many of the lower end locks have a code that tells you which locks use the same key. If you match them up you can get two of three packs. Of course you can rekey later on. I often wonder what is the ratio of total locks made versus locks that are keyed alike. Is it like 1 to 1000? or more? or less?

Two weeks ago I went to get my hurricane panel keys. The property I acquired has accordian shutters over all windows and doors with a key lock but no key. I removed one of the keys and took it to a local supplier. The guy at the counter asked me how many keys I want, I said four. So he took out a rusty box with over 500 keys in them, took my lock and tried his varies keys in the box. First one he tried was a match. Total he tried five times, he got four matches. Now I know hurricane shutters are not meant for theft prevention, but still, 4 out of 5 randomly matched? So how many unique keys are in his pile of keys? 3?

Years ago when I had a Nissan vehicle with one of the remote keyless system. I went to a Nissan dealer, parked my car, and of course all around me are new Nissan cars. As I walked towards their door I pressed the remote to lock my car. The only problem is I heard more than 1 beep. There were two other beeps from somewhere. I walked back a little to make sure my car beeped too. But it was surprising to me that two other vehicles within the range of that remote reacted, both Nissans of course.

How unique are these doors and remotes? Ever drove around and try your garage door remote on your neighbors LOL?

Loading replies...