Basement wall cover

3 Replies

This basement is damp and the water table must be high so I have already dug trenches that lead to a sump pump. The sump regularly flushes the water out, so that is far better than it was. However, this portion of the basement has these damaged and stained wood sheets over it. I obviously have to take them down, but I want to know what material I should use to replace them. The panels on the left are covering raw dirt from where the basement used to be a crawl space.

I just want these walls covered, and I do not care about appearance.

Here is a sight with pictures: http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/basement-wall-cover-202023/#post1362013

Steve,

What's behind the paneling in the portion where it's not dirt? Is it furred out?

Originally posted by @Ben Skove :
Steve,
What's behind the paneling in the portion where it's not dirt? Is it furred out?

Sorry, I don't know yet as I want to pull it off and replace it all in the same day. I just want to know what kind of sheeting I can put up there that will not rot or be subject to mold as that basement will always have moisture issues. On days with heavy rain the sump works every 15 minutes! I do not care how the sheets look. OSB or plywood will not work long term.

I understand, as it's tough dealing with damp basements. It's always easiest to keep the water out than deal with it once it's in. If you've already tried the first step by observing what happens outside and in during a heavy rain - making sure that water is redirected away from the foundation by making sure that the gutters are working correctly, the downspouts are emptying at least 6' from the foundation, and that the soil is graded away from the foundation - and you're just looking for a quick fix, you might try plastic or fiberglass wall panels. I can't speak for them personally, but Lowe's and HD appear to stock them...a quick google search will turn up a number of companies which make them.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you