Can you be your own notary?

14 Replies

My wife is difficult to get to closing.

Alternative is to fire my wife from LLC :-)

Most title companies will not let you be your own notary.

Joe Gore

Originally posted by @Dan Costantino:

My wife is difficult to get to closing.

Alternative is to fire my wife from LLC :-)

Not sure what you need a notary for. You should be able to do a limited power of attorney agreement, have your wife sign and take to a local bank to get notarized and bring with you to closing. I've done this several times both closing on transactions while I'm out of town and with partners in an LLC out of town.

I'd ask the closing agency for a form or have them review the form before getting to the closing table.  I could send you a copy of what I use, but not sure it would hold any weight in your state.

@Dan Costantino  , I believe that it is a state law that you can not notarize your own paperwork of any kind.

My husband is always gone on business for closings.  I think he arranges it that way so I have to sign a zillion documents for both of us.  And some states are tricky, as my last closing in Maryland would not take a DC notary signing the SPOA.  I haven't had that problem before.   Luckily, the lender reviewed it and denied it the night before my husband left the country, not at closing 2 days later, and his boss actually witnessed it for us as we did it on the way to dropping them both off at BWI.  

Ohio doesn't let a notary acknowledge a signature on any document in which the notary has an interest.

Thanks! I never knew about the POA but that makes sense. Thanks!

Notaries are state driven as a Notary myself it is best to avoid any conflict of interest. So just go anywhere to have documents notarized. When I was a title closer I have done closing with individuals in other counties ... they just went to the American Embassy for notarizing and gave a power of attorney to their attorney for the closing. So do everything that will avoid a good attorney to ask any questions.

I need to put in my additional "two cent"… If using a POA with any major lender please make sure the POA is Real Estate "transaction specific" only for that transaction (not general like socks, cars, safe deposit box, est.). AND give a heads-up about the POA to the lender.

@Dan Costantino I used to be a notary in CA and it was definitely illegal. Honestly I would be really surprised if notarizing your own signature is legal anywhere. The notary rules should be on your state's website.

Thanks everyone! I'll look to do a POA.

Otherwise, as I've said, I'm kicking my wife out of the LLC.

Thanks!

If one could notarize their own signature there would be no need for a Notary at all we would all just sign docs and swear we signed them.. wow

You cannot be your own notary,but if your wife is she can notify the documents for you as long as she doesn't have a vested interest (wether it be financial or emotional).

You cannot be your own notary,but if your wife is she can notify the documents for you as long as she doesn't have a vested interest (wether it be financial or emotional). Another suggestion, if you bank with chase they will notarize your documents for you at no charge.

Wow times 2

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.