Closets

3 Replies

My dad and I are making acloset in a room to turn it into a bedroom. We were wondering what material we would need, how long it would take, and inspections. Please Reply.

IKEA has some easy options that work in most settings and look good ($300-$900 and take a couple hours). If you need a custom-sized closet or want a truly integrated look, sheetrock and 2x4's are cheap but the doors, base and case moldings, and time can add up quickly. It can take a couple days to frame, rock, tape, mud, texture, trim out and paint a new closet and might cost $400 or more in materials. I have done this several times though to add value to a property. If you can go from a 2 bedroom to a 3 bedroom home just by adding a closet, you can add 10K to 50K to your ARV, depending on your area of the world. Most areas also require that a "bedroom" has a closet AND a window, so don't advertise another bedroom unless you tick both boxes.

Below is a closet I recently added to a master bedroom that was really lacking in closet space. The cost was about $500 in materials and about 2 full days of work.

Have Fun and Make Your Own Luck!

801‑712‑2823 | Podcast Guest on Show #41

Make sure you have compliant egress before you call it a bedroom! Also, you may need a permit to do what are considered structural changes - in my town, it's "no permit, no build." Trust me, you don't want to get on the bad side of the city inspectors/zoning board. Do a little prep work before you start buying 2x4s.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you