Old asphalt driveway lack curb appeal

3 Replies

Hello my fellow BP members who specialize in fix and flip. I need your input regrading drive way repair. Just recently I was able to lock down a house on contract to rehab and flip. This is the first time we encountered where the drive way is so beyond touch up repair. Basically the old owner has a combo of fixes using concrete and asphalt. To really compete with the current home market area I was suggested by a contractor to just go in and tear everything out and replace with a new concrete. Has anyone done anything creative when building a drive way in order to save cost and actually creates a nice curb appeal? Input is much appreciated.

Nixon Vayupak, Group334 Inc | [email protected] | 626‑502‑6233 | http://www.group334.com

To much liability in a driveway/walkway that is not in safe condition. If it cannot be repaired as told by multiple trusted asphalt driveway installers I strongly suggest ripping it out and installing a new one that is up to local code and ordinances. (again I strongly suggest going the permit route to help again limiting liability).  

I've recently purchased a property with the same issue. I'm interested in seeing what people have done in this situation.

1.Have an asphalt company come and do a 1 inch overlay using a sand mix . 

2. Sealcoat the driveway , I believe out west they use asphalt emuslion , it wont take care of bad areas , but makes it all one color .

3. Poor mans tar and chip ,  use foundation tar and broom it on the driveway as you are going down the drive cover the wet tar with stone chips (small) , takes a week to set .        ( throw your shoes and clothes away when done )

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you