metal house trim decoration rusting

3 Replies

I have some of the metal house trim rusting out and am unsure on how to replace this. I've looked around at the big box stores for replacement sections of this trim but cant find anything like it. I'm looking for advice on whether to attempt replacement of this DIY or whether to price a contractor to replace. I plan on painting this property in the next month.

 trim pic

It looks like the trim is still firmly attached so I could possibly use ospho or a rust inhibitor to stop the rust and then caulk and paint any open areas.

trim pic 2

@David A.  Of the metal exterior pieces I have seen once they start rusting they USUALLY have to be replaced. Just judging by the second pic you provided, it looks as though you may spend more time trying to repair than its worth. If I were in your boots I'd get a hold of local siding guy and see what his take on it is. Maybe replace with aluminum or some of the newer plastic trims that don't need paint and won't rot.

Thanks Cole, excellent advice. So is this plastic trim something thats sold at a home store special order?

Just wanted to post an update. This metal piece is called a 'stucco stop' and doesn't need to be replaced. Just ospho and painted.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here