Tax Sale Overage

8 Replies

Promotion
Vacasa
Vacation Rental Property Management
We do the work. You get the ROI.
We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.
Free income estimate

@Ivan Figueiredo Yes I have heard of it but I don't know anything about it.

Le me just say that is not as easy a business as it sounds. First how do you explain it to a potential property owner?  Saying "I know you are entitled to some money you could get all by your self for free, but I won't tell you unless you pay me" is probably not a very effective pitch. If you are in a liberal area like Maryland it is going to be considered "Predatory" and will be severely frowned upon. In many states fees to collect money are limited. 

Perhaps @John Underwood is familiar with the process in GA. 

I have talked with a couple of tax collectors and they push back hard on anyone trying to do this strategy.

I looked into it and it doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

Originally posted by @John Underwood :

I have talked with a couple of tax collectors and they push back hard on anyone trying to do this strategy.

I looked into it and it doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

the only companies I have seen do this are run by Private Detective firms that specialize in finding this stuff in all manner of lost money and people.. And they have contracts with large banks to run some of this stuff down.

Joe Kaiser had a big run in with the state of Washington over this and many many states now either dont allow it or limit the amount you can get..  Very tough thing for an individual to do.. the only one making money here is the Diamond selling the how to.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you