Underlayment laminate wood flooring

6 Replies

Best budget underlayment for hand scraped 8mm laminate wood flooring.
Go!

Hi Jane,

Head down to your local Home Depot and you will find a budget underlayment, and a higher end underlayment.  I recommend the budget underlayment, it will be the cheapest one and works great.  I've installed 3 different laminate floors from various manufacturers and I've always used the budget underlayment.  It give the floor a nice almost bouncy feel to it.  No regrets.

Good luck with your floor!

Mike

Best budget underlayment is no underlayment.  It might void the warranty but the floors seem to hold up pretty well without it and I cannot tell any difference when walking on it.  You could argue that you're worse off with an underlayment because it could add more "play" to the floors and work the locking mechanism loose.

You might want an underlayment over concrete though or if you have a moisture problem but I doubt even in this case that it would make a significant difference.

Thanks Mike. That is a big help. And thanks Jassem. I do want underlayment and the house is on a concrete slab.

You're welcome @Jane George  !  I highly recommend using underlayment.  The manufacturer instructions on every brand will say the same, and if you want to do the flooring correctly it is a must.

Good luck with your floor!

Mike

I use roofing felt, the tar paper stuff. Never had a problem with it, and it is pretty cheap.

I've also heard of people using tar paper or red rosin paper over concrete.  None of my properties have concrete slabs so I never had the chance to try it out.  I've left some nice pergo in the backyard before for like a year and it didn't show any signs of rot.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here