Paint streaks

12 Replies

I have painted the ceilings three coats with the roller, and am seeing lines on the surface from the edges of my roller. This ceiling has very little texture, so I think that may be part of the issue. Is there a recommendation to avoid the lines from the roller, other than using a paint sprayer?

did you paint crisscross pattern?

@Jason C.  The biggest culprit is likely cheap paint.  You need to buy at least mid-grade paint, like Behr.

@Larry T.  

I think you are right about the cheap paint-I was buying the stuff that's $10 a gallon at Lowes. oops

If its that Cover & Go stuff from Lowes, that is probably the problem. I went through this a few months back and was about to go crazy working on that ceiling. I used better paint on the next one I did and didn't have any problems

I've learned the hard way that your roller tends to hold more paint on the edges than the center. When you even out the paint after dipping it by rolling it on the grid or paint pan (hard to explain!), I always tip the roller on the edges & squish the extra paint off the sides. Cheap or expensive paint, this has proven to be a good way to avoid lines. Takes about 4 seconds more per "dip" - it's worked well for me.

And of course, using better paint is a plus!

100% in agreement with @Kathleen Leary  's advice.  The build-up on the edge of the rollers will create streaks.  After you tip the roller, it will produce high lines of that build-up make sure you quickly roll that area out in criss-cross quickly.  That extra paint tends to be "more" dry already.

Medium c logo small logoMitch Coluzzi, Coluzzi Real Estate INC | [email protected] | http://www.coluzzirealestate.com | IA Contractor # C124035, IA Agent # B63267000

Originally posted by @Jason Crain:

I have painted the ceilings three coats with the roller, and am seeing lines on the surface from the edges of my roller. This ceiling has very little texture, so I think that may be part of the issue. Is there a recommendation to avoid the lines from the roller, other than using a paint sprayer?

Recommendation is to back-roll after you apply the paint to ensure even coverage and sheen.  Don't overload you roller, but once these lines are dried you have to sand back to an even/sound surface a re-coat.

Compounding more coats without sanding smooth will compound the problem and make it worse.  Lines also appear if you let the cut dry before you roll it.  Best practice it to cut one wall and roll it (don't cut the whole room then roll because cut will dry).  Going wall by wall will ensure that you are rolling into a wet edge and working fast enough to avoid this problem.

Cheap is not always better, invest in quality paint, also quality rollers. Works out economically if you are using the same color in most of your properties by buying larger volume of the better paint especially when you catch it on sale.

Best Regards,

Brian

I've been a fan of Behr paint from Home Depot for a long time. Some paints just don't roll out well. 

Make sure to roll it out in the paint pan so it looks consistent over the whole roller before you go at the wall.

You can blend the lines by going back over stuff you just rolled on with a roller that's mostly empty. I usually start the paint a little heavy in a small area and then start blending it out over a bigger and bigger area as the roller goes dry. While the wall is still wet the roller will move paint from heavier applied areas to outer edges that don't have quite enough. 

That way you should end up with a totally covered area that's blended with no lines.

Buy better paint and DONT run your roller dry, squeezing every drop of paint out of it by pushing harder is the major cause for the end lines. Dont be shy and go back to the pan regularly.  As others have said, if doing multiple coats, first goes one way and next do sideways. 

For ceilings use flat paint which shows less marks

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you