My latest kitchen remodel

13 Replies

In mid June we bought a 4/2 SFR as a rental. Just finished the rehab about a week ago. I know the lady who owned it when it was built in 1970, and she came to look at it shortly after closing. She said everything in the kitchen was original except the flooring, including the appliances! (except the fridge & microwave)

We were going to replace just the appliances and countertops, but decided to redo the whole thing. I'm glad we did. Here are some before and after shots.

We were very fortunate that whoever had the tile installed saved some extras in the garage, so we were able to fill in where we removed the peninsula.

@Sylvia B. Nice rehab I love the way the kitchen look great job.

Thank you!

@Sylvia B.  The kitchen looks much better, I think you made the right choice to do a complete reno. If you don't mind me asking what was the total cost for the new kitchen?

Looks great - just that small amount of "fancy" backsplash tile puts a little eye candy in there. Nice & clean. 

I'm right in the middle of re-doing a kitchen myself & that's the look I'm aiming for. Good job!

@Stephen Talaber   $5400.

That includes cabinets, counters, tile, sink, faucet, light, stove, hood & dishwasher and labor for the tear-out, electric rewiring & plumbing. We could have gone a little cheaper with 30" uppers, but wanted the pizzazz.

Yes, @Kathleen Leary we like just a bit of eye candy. Got a good deal on the glass mosaic tile at $6/ft².

Very nice.   However, I prefer to use custom Formica counters without a backsplash and bring the tile backsplash all the way down.  It gives it more of a custom/granite look. 

Originally posted by @Phil Z.:

Very nice.   However, I prefer to use custom Formica counters without a backsplash and bring the tile backsplash all the way down.  It gives it more of a custom/granite look. 

Actually, this is a good point.

The typical off-the-shelf plastic laminate counters are post-formed with the 4" backsplash attached.  But few high-end installations that folks might ooh and ahh over will have a short 4" backsplash -- even if done in nice materials -- so the 4" backsplash can become a visual cue that the project is not high end -- a subtle but immediate trigger.

For whatever reasons, right now people are a little granite / quartz / stone / slate countertop kooky, and so it's just one of those things on their radar that they seem to always take note of...  

I realize that Sylvia did not use tile backsplash tile all the way around -- only as an accent --so she needed the 4" integrated backsplash.  But in general, Phil's idea is a pretty good one to keep in mind that can help create a little higher-end feel on lower-end projects.

Very nice!

Yes I agree about the preformed formica. But I can get that for <$15/linear foot & custom would be $19/square foot or more. Hard to justify the extra cost for a rental.

@Sylvia B.  -- Sylvia, I'm not at all knocking your reno, which as I've said looks great!

I'm just pointing out a detail that can make a nice difference.

No worries @Kurt F.  I didn't think you were. If I were getting a custom counter anyway that's the way I'd do it. Maybe we'll get some sheet formica and try building our own sometime.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here