replace bouncy tile?

6 Replies

Hey guys , just closed on a property and need some advice.

The house is all tiled but was built in the 40's and the floor is real "bouncy" in different parts with some tile cracking also.  I believe it is because they laid the tile on the original plank subfloor and didnt install a layer of plywood sub floor.

If this is the case what have you guys done to fix the problem?  there is access to the crawl space but not sure if just sistering the joist or anything underneath will be enough.  Is our best bet just to rip out everything and install plywood subfloor throughout the house and then install new flooring? What are general cost to do this per sqft?

thanks for any help,

Joe

hey Joe

Your tile installation is shot. There is nothing you can do to save it unfortunately. Even sistering new joists. You might not have it so bad. If they laid tile right on the subfloor and its cracking chances are it will come up pretty easily. Prices will vary alot on removal. Its gonna get dusty. When you get estimates from folks make sure they say there gonna hang plastic at least. Its horrible to breath in, and I would also check to see if there is any asbestos in there. There are companies that will come in and use high end vacuums and everything but you will pay extra for it. Good luck!

We were thinking the tile is shot too. Since it is throughout the house we were thinking of just removing the tile/plank subfloor and laying down a new plywood subfloor and then putting flooring on top of that.  Do you guys think that would be the best bet?

Check if there is asbestos in the plank subfloor? Don't think we really need plastic as the whole house is empty and we are going to flip it. 

asbestos - depending on when the tile was installed the grout might have it.

If your going to put down ceramic tile check to see what the longest unsupported span is for the joists. Yes plywood over the plank then Ditra or cbu  then tile.

Type your joist info here for tile

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl

Originally posted by @Joseph L.:

We were thinking the tile is shot too. Since it is throughout the house we were thinking of just removing the tile/plank subfloor and laying down a new plywood subfloor and then putting flooring on top of that.  Do you guys think that would be the best bet?

That is exactly what I do.  Ceramic tile is a lot of work to install.  Have you considered Allure vinyl from HD?  When you are done it looks great.  However, I am a landlord, not a flipper. 

were still deciding on which flooring to go with. Going to have to look at the nearby houses. 

What are normal rates I should expect to remove 1200 sqft of tile and plank subfloor?  Have a couple contractors/handyman coming out Wednesday but just wanted to see what you guys are paying for removal. 

I don't like installing tile personally as I find floating laminte flooring easy/cheap and looks good

I would charge at least $5/ foot just for tile removal. But I'm sure you can get guys in there for $2/sqft. Taking the plank out will be more.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.