need info about dehumidifiers

8 Replies

I have a house which my tenant says now has a damp basement when rains. 

Which humidifier is a good one to get? how many pints for a 300 sf basement? 

do i need a sump pump in addition to it? 

i never has to deal with this issue so any help is appreciated . 

Thanks!

Need more info!

Basements are commonly damp. What is down there? Just concrete? Or finished? That will make a difference in the level of dryness you need. You may very well need a sump pump, depending on how much moisture.

Can you feel water beading? Or is it visible? Or just overall dampness? What's causing the complaint? Things getting wet? Musty smell?

You can always try dehumidifier, but try it when it rains. That's probably when you'll get the most seapage. If it doesn't work, return and step it up, until you get to drainage / sump pump..

Yes it smalls  very musty and when it rains HARD there is an inch of water accumulating .

The basement has a concrete floor, not finshed .

water seeps in through the wall . any reccomendations for the kind of dehumidifier?

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Marc Stein:

Yes it smalls  very musty and when it rains HARD there is an inch of water accumulating .

The basement has a concrete floor, not finshed .

water seeps in through the wall . any reccomendations for the kind of dehumidifier?

Thanks!

I had a water heater leak  in my basement that I didn know about. I used frigidaire 70 pints. It worked real good for us, I left it on high for a week

No dehumidifier will deal with an inch of water.  If there's that much water coming in during heavy rains you need to deal with that problem first.  A sump pump would get the water out, but you really need to deal with preventing it from leaking in.

The littlest dehumidifier you can fine will be find for a tiny basement like that, provide you deal with the real problem first.

Excellent feedback--appreciate it!

You would need to have a sump pump installed for the water, and a dehumidifier to remove the moisture to prevent mold and mildew issues.

Make sure your gutters and downspouts are in place and getting water away from the foundation.  If you don't have any gutters, I would seriously consider installing some!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.