Replacing Tub Faucet

11 Replies

I need to replace a broken diverter tub faucet. I've not done much plumbing before, but I unscrewed the old one and took it to Home Depot thinking I could just find a replacement to screw back on. Well, it's not as easy as I though because everything is for 1/2" or 3/4" pipes, but the old one screwed onto a 1 1/4" adapter that's attached to the end of the pipe.

Does anyone know where I can get a diverter tub faucet that will fit? The big box stores don't seem to have ones that will. Or do I need to figure out how to remove the 1 1/4" adapter to get down to a standard 1/2" pipe? I think it's sweated on.

@Adam Moehn  , As far as my bathroom remodeling experience, the easiest way to deal with the plumbing/faucet issue is to purchase a new faucet with a valve.  Disconnect the existing plumbing upstream reasonable enough to give you room to install adaptors and new plumbing.  The easiest plumbing to install (plug and play) is using Sharkbit pipe (plastic) and push-fittings/connectors.  It's like playing with legos!

Oh yeah, standard is 1/2", but.... if you're downsizing, you could get more water pressure out of your shower with 3/4".  I did that on accident with a remodel, but it turned out to have GREAT and enjoyable water volume/pressure.

Property Management Software
Manage Your Rentals Better For Free. Save Time & Money.
Easily Collect Rent, Screen Tenants, Sign Leases, List Properties, Manage Work Orders, & Much More!
100% Free Try It Now

Thanks Kyle, but I'm not talking about replacing any piping, just getting a tub faucet that will attach to the existing piping. The existing piping is 1/2" but with a 1 1/4" adapter on the end of it.

Look for a plumbing supply house - "real" plumbers don't shop at HD, y'know. Take your parts & pieces, plus a photo & throw yourself on their mercy. I'll bet the guys can help you out - if they don't have the part, they can tell you exactly what you need to do to fix it.

You will have to go to a plumbers supply store, the big box stores are pretty useless when ti comes to items like this.  I come across this on just about every rehab or rental that I fix up.  There are a few brands like Delta and Moen that make "old" style kits that can be swapped out but they usually charge much more for them and there is a good chance of damaging the diverter housing if it gets stuck in there.  I usually just swap the whole thing out for a newer style and redo the plumbing since it will make future maintanence easier, especially if you are keeping the unit as a rental or for yourself.

That is the standard adapter for most Delta faucets.  In Cedar Rapids you may have luck finding a replacement at Plumb Supply or Ferguson.  Also check out Habitat for Humanity Restore.  It seems like every time I'm in there I run into a fellow landlord!

I had planned to go to a plumbing store but they seem to pretty much only be open during normal work hours, which doesn't work well for me since I have a day job. So I ended up buying the faucet on amazon. It fit perfectly!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you