Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Shashy B.
  • Investor
  • Newark, NJ
Votes |
Home Inspector Training - Is it worth it for a newbie looking to vet deals independently?

Shashy B.
  • Investor
  • Newark, NJ
Posted Oct 15 2014, 05:02

Hi all,

I'm somewhat of a newbie in that I haven't been as active in RE as I'd like. This year, I have a pretty aggressive (for me) acquisition goal but have faced a number of obstacles in my pursuit of it; namely, I have trouble finding an agent (w/ rehab experience)  to show me properties of interest. Most have been unreliable, ie canceling, not following up as promised. I have a GC I've worked w/ but he's often too busy on jobs to accompany me.

Getting my real estate license isn't my priority now but I'd like to be able to effectively assess what type of work needs to be done. There are a number of 140 hour courses starting in my area now, and I'm thinking about taking one that starts tomorrow.

Do you think it's worth it to take the course? Can I get the info elsewhere? I have a full-time day job and don't plan to pursue a career in home inspecting (at least not in the near future) so it would be primarily to vet my own deals.

Thanks for your help!

Shashy

PS The agent's flakiness isn't a reflection of me. I'm finding properties on my own and merely using the agent/broker to view it when I can't reach the seller's agent on my own.

Loading replies...