Replacing Boiler - Plumber willing to let me help and to teach

5 Replies

I have gotten some quotes from plumbers around my area and actually found a licenses/bonded/insured plumber that is willing to teach me the process of installing the boiler while giving him a hand. His price is pretty fair and he's willing to  reduce it the more help I give. This is my first property and have no plumbing experience but am pretty mechanically oriented (I've done a lot of work on my Jeep). It's a great opportunity to learn when I'm just starting out in investing / property management. Anyone have any similar experiences?

This happens a lot with the smaller contractors and one man shops. I'm replacing a boiler too, just curious how much that's going for in your area?

usually, they dont like that because you'd slow them down with the questions. their time is worth a lot, so these lessons are normally not given. good luck.

@Derek Carroll   I got 3 quotes. Labor was: 1500 from unlicensed plumber friend, $6500 from a larger operation, and $3000 from the guy I'm going with. Seems a lot higher than the rest of the country - (median household income $53,046) but here it is $76,495 (as of 2012). 

Just wanted to follow up with this post and say the boiler has been successfully replaced. Parts - $5,650 (should have gone with Supply House in  retrospect)

Labor - $3,000 (I would totally pay this again in my market).

Learned how to install a boiler - maybe not worth much, but I have a mechanical mind and like to know how stuff works in case anything goes wrong.

Experience like that is invaluable. You won't be qualified to install a boiler on your own but enough of these experiences help connect the dots and can be extremely helpful when SHTF. Even if it's not negotiated in advance, I try to watch and pick up as much as I can whenever I have someone doing work. It's paid dividends over the years.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here