Learning Furnace Repair

10 Replies

I've been hiring out more lately, but I like to know how to do things even when I hire. 

My 90%eff. furnace at my personal residence has gone out. I'd like to buy a book or troubleshooting reference. 

With the older 80%eff furnaces I could easily diagnose most issues. 

Looking for a troubleshooting guide/process. 

Does anybody know of a good book or resource for learning troubleshooting especially for newer furnaces? 

Try typing in the Mfg. name on the internet. I know mine had a manual online.

The manufacturers manual is not sufficient for what I am wanting. 

I want something to teach me what to do when the manual states "call a professional HVAC technician" 

Most of my (condensing) furnace service calls end up being fixed by replacing a pressure switch, thermostat,  or controls board. 

I know how to jumper to bypass thermostat. I know how to test a thermocouple. 

Looking for methods to troubleshoot all the other components. Every owner's manual I've read doesn't have that info. 

Cleaning the flame censor is about as much as I know. I once replaced a board, but only on the advice of an HVAC professional. Maybe it would be worth it to take a class..

Originally posted by @Wilson Churchill:

Cleaning the flame censor is about as much as I know. I once replaced a board, but only on the advice of an HVAC professional. Maybe it would be worth it to take a class..

Sensor**

This book worked good for me.  Ended up being my inducer motor.    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KBEFND4

Hi @Michael Herr  

I google the furnace model number with a few words describing the problem. I.E- Bryant furnance 987M not lighting. The key is using the least amount of words describing your situation.

Hello, can anyone here recommend me what is the average labor rate/hour for Air Conditioning repair?I realize it can vary by state but I have an estimate to install a new combustion motor (parts & labor) & heat exchanger (labor only as part is warrantied) on a Carrier 48JZ dual fuel unit and for the heat exchanger along they quoted $628 for the labor.When I questioned how long the entire job would take to complete the tech said about 4 hrs. Well, that's $150/hr just for the heat exchanger.Don't you think that is a little outrageous? Or am I WAY off base and need to "get with the times".

I pay $65/hr. Is that 2 guys for 4 hours? 

Caution - Do a google search for how many people are admitted to hospitals (or morgues) each year due to CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning, typically the result of an incorrectly serviced furnace or other heating-related incident.

Do you really want to assume the liability of possibly killing others due to self-servicing a furnace?

For me, it's not worth my time it to learn HVAC. The same for advance plumbing and advanced electrical. Plus, the codes are changing all the time. Back in 2009, here in Idaho, a guy tried to do his own work. After a few months a very small gas leak had accumulated in the crawl space until his house exploded.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here