Ummm... Thought Vinyl Planks Were Tenant Proof? Watch This!

8 Replies

I 'm not sure what happened in here. It's like a combination of wet welcome mat and burns. It's like... every time I showed up to the apartment, the devil appeared behind the door and snickered as I waited for the tenant to open. It's like the welcome mat scorched the paint right off of the vinyl. For the record, vinyl planks are not indestructible.  Last of the problem tenant gone... FINALLY!

Maybe the tread underneath the welcome mat was too rough for the vinyl planks. Weird how its just in that one particular spot though. Did you ever figure out what it was?

High spot in the flooring that the door was rubbing when opened and closed? That's what it looks like to me at least. 

I agree with @Ryan Lackey , thats what it looks like from the picture. Trim the door down a 1/4" and future problem solved.

high spot or poorly glued vinyl or both.

That does look like it could be the sheet of underlayment that is high and the door has scraped away at it - check the bottom of the door - it will have matching wear marks.

If that's not it, then perhaps it was a chemical conflict... certain vinyl and rubber can often be incompatible when moisture is introduced.  Was the door mat rubber backed?

As for vinyl flooring... some are printed and some are homogeneous... they're not all created equally.

Agree with the above regarding the abrasion pattern. As to the comment regarding printed vs homogeneous(or through color indicating the same color through the entire product). You can't get that with wood looks (except in solid real wood..hehe). Even AO or ceramic finishes can be abraded. Thru colors are usually a solid color (maybe with a color fleck thrown in) and are VERY expensive. For example a solid white Armstrong VCT is usually 5 times or more the cost of standard vct. For the most part commercially warrantied LVT will hold up to almost any standard wear through from traffic.

Which brand is that?

That door does look too tight to the ground. There is usually supposed to be some play and freedom of movement as with hot and cold weather you will have some flex and expansion occurring.

If it's front door then have some off the bottom but need weather stripping to make it air tight and too keep animals out. If you had carpet there it looks like the door would not even open.

If you do not know how to adjust the front entry doors or shave off some of the bottom and apply weatherstripping a handyman can sometimes do it for a decent price. You have to check and make sure the door is not off center as well. When you stand and look at it the spacing should be even all the way around the door. Often times as hinges and doors get older they sag which causes doors not closing, sticking,etc. 

I have an office building I own and even though the building was 10 years old the front door was sagging some. The handyman took off a few hinges and put spacers between the hinge and drove in 2 to 3 inch screws versus the 1 inch that were in there. Now the door is tight and opens and closes easily. Make sure if an entrance door that you have a proper threshold installed and that you have the proper exterior caulking that will not crack or shrink sealing the outside to keep water out.

Doors are a first line of defense into a unit and are often neglected for maintenance.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.