Possum in crawl

9 Replies

We just bought a house and while I was checking out the crawl space for problems I came face to face with a large possum.  How do I trap and/or kill this thing?  

Thank you in advance for any help. 

I have always seen them caught with live traps with fruit as the bait.  Seal up your attic in the meantime.  He got in there somewhere.

Eek! Careful. They are cute but I hear they are NASTY house creatures. I agree with @ChadBallard. Even if you get him out, he got in somehow and his brothers will be close behind if you don't figure out how and stop them!

Home Depot sells animals traps based on size. We used a medium one to catch a squirrel. It took some PB on a piece of bread and ten minutes of silence and BAM, he was in there. When you free the opposum to the wild, make sure you do so far from the house he was inhabiting... animals return to their homes!

better than a skunk

Check out Amazon for traps and read the reviews. I ended up taking care of a few small squirrels using large rat traps. I even got the pro tip of screwing the traps to some plywood from the reviews. Cost about $11 v. $600 from an exterminator.

I've used a havaheart trap for a similar problem  : 

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1530631668...

Worked great but chances are if you've seen one possum there are probably more. You might also end up catching other creatures which reside in the area so keep that in mind.  Cut apples as bait worked best for me. Good luck.

Originally posted by @Cris B. :

. You might also end up catching other creatures which reside in the area so keep that in mind.  Cut apples as bait worked best for me. Good luck.

He lives in the crawl space, so I was thinking I would put the trap in there where I last saw it.

Mark Forest 

I've had this happen a couple times. You can get a trap at Harbor Freight for $20 and use anything for bait. Possums are omnivores. A sandwich works fine. Set the trap just inside the crawl space where you can reach it from outside. Go back the next day and the possum will be there. I wouldn't kill the possum. They're good to have around as they eat anything. Just take it somewhere else and let it go. Set the trap again. I caught two the last time.

Originally posted by @Rob K. :

@Steve Might 

I've had this happen a couple times. You can get a trap at Harbor Freight for $20 and use anything for bait. Possums are omnivores. A sandwich works fine. 

I did not even think of Harbor Freight for that.  Thanks.  Rob, you know everything!  :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.