newer landlord here what to do for ants?

5 Replies

I have  a ant problem in one of my units. It's a lower level unit. And it's in mn and it's almost Dec. It's cold out. Anyway Told the tenant to get some traps bait/ poision. Or get an exterminator? problem Lasted for 3 weeks Now. 

first need to identify the particular ant species.  Some feeds on sweet some fat some switches.

ants needs water so most likely they are outside and trailing to the inside for food.

once you figure out which type of ants you can start with a bait such as Terro that you can buy from the big box store.  Put a few drops on the trail and wait a few days.

if that doesn't work you need a more industrial strength solution.  My suggestion would be to order a product called Phantom from various online DIY pest control stores.  Follow instructions VERY CAREFULLY and treat the inside except food prep areas, OR a product called Termidor, and treat the outside, or do both.  The two prone Phantom inside Termido outside works as a one two punch but usually one is enough.

Good luck.

I got some gel bait off of Amazon (I think it was Advion).  We had major ant problems for years at my own home, and I couldn't believe this simple stuff worked after one application.  I read about it off an exterminator's website.  It did take several days, but once they went away, I never saw one again this year.   

Promotion
Ashcroft Capital
A national multifamily investment firm
Three Reasons Investors May Prefer Real Estate
Read three reasons why investing in real estate private placements may provide several advantages.
Read More Here

Ok so I'm a genuine cheap skate, Her's a search link with all kinds of CHEAP ways to solve the problem. Hope it helps. Enjoy. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=natural+ant+remedy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you