Kitchen Cabinets???

16 Replies

Where can i find inexpensive but quality kitchen cabinets? Is there an online resource for designing and ordering cabinets? I live in Canada but would consider ordering from the US if the price is right. Thanks 

check out rtacabinetstore.com

When I was redoing my rentals, I searched long and hard. I wanted quality cabinets, and wasn't interested in particle boards. 

From my experience, HD Supply Home Improvement Solutions was considerably inexpensive compared to anywhere, even Lowes and Home Depot. And the quality of the product is fantastic!

Good luck

A half decent carpenter can build the cabinets and drawers in a day.  Then you could buy the doors and drawer fronts from a surplus building supply store and stain or paint to your liking.

I got all of my cabinets from Ikea. There were on sale and I didn't have to pay for sales tax in Portland OR. They seem to be very build very well. It is the first time I using them so I don't know how the will hold up with renter, but all the parts are replaceable with out having to buy a whole new cabinet. 

Lowes white are in all my properties.  Pretty well built and they are easy to replace if you ever have to replace a door or drawer.  I try to keep it simple.  They also clean up very well

I've had a lot of luck w/ CabinetGiant.com here out of Kansas City.  In my experience, their cabinets are about 30 to 40% cheaper than HomeDepot or Lowes.  Also, when you place your order make sure you call-in to the office and ask for an investor discount...this will be good for another ~10% discount!

They provide a ready-to-assemble cabinet, but it comes with all the bells and whistles:

• Plywood Construction
  • Soft close drawers
  • Glazed Finishes

It really is a nice, high-end looking cabinet and assembly is fairly easy.  A contractor should be able to put together a box in about 15 minutes each...

I would say a days worth of labor ($400) needs to be factored into the cost for a RTA kitchen if you really want to compare apples-to-apples to a pre-assembled cabinet.

David Robertson | 816‑388‑0197 | http://www.houseflippingspreadsheet.com

I have Used pinnaclecabinets.com in two of my properties. They are ready to assemble cabinets and went together very nicely, plywood construction with hardwood fronts.  If you do use RTA cabinets take the extra step and glue all joints.

Originally posted by @John Geldert :

...  If you do use RTA cabinets take the extra step and glue all joints.

I can't agree with glueing all joints. Some joints are supposed to "float", such as drawer bottoms and the bottom of the base. 

Originally posted by @Steve Babiak

I can't agree with glueing all joints. Some joints are supposed to "float", such as drawer bottoms and the bottom of the base. 

I wouldn't neccasarily consider the 1/4" "floating" bottom of the draw a "joint", that being said....What's the harm in glueing those pieces in?

This post has been removed.

I recommend Lowes. You should check out their page.

I did not read the entire post -- sorry if it's a duplicate.

call around to all local cabinet specialty shops -- high volume shops sometimes have orders that fall through and are custom made for someone else's space that can be a great deal -- and retrofit into the space in which you need it.

hope this helps

also if you install the prefab unfinished cabinets yourself you can do an average sized kitchen for 1200 + 200 for paint/stain done in 3-4 days max

Contact a local cabinet maker. We install solid maple cabinets in most of our units. The average kitchen comes out to around $1,400 in cabinetry versus $800 from the box store. The difference, solid wood, quality hardware, and durable finishes.

Cabinets are an improvement that you should be expecting to get 15-25 years life out of... Laminates, particle boards and cheap hardware do not stand up to the time test.

Don't be cheap. Do it right the first time, set it and forget it.

Choosing kitchen cabinets is probably the biggest is not the most nerve-wracking decision for your kitchen. Just understand that the cabinets have a big impact on your budget as well as how your kitchen looks. So, try to choose cabinets provider as per that.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you