Best alternative to Stucco to fix a broken exterior ceiling

5 Replies

The commercial building is 30 yrs old and the exterior ceiling came down few days back as it had cracks from the roof leak before. We replaced the roof last year.

What will be cheap and best way to replace the current Stucco ceiling?

Appreciate any input!

you could install vinyl soffit over it, fairly cheap and maintenance free, but you would have to do an whole are to make it look right.

In my area stucco is not common. Porch ceilings like that are either wood plank or metal. 

The low budget ones are painted plywood.

If it were me going low budget I'd either patch existing,  or tear out and nail up luan and paint white. 

Cut out the bad area and go with cement board that has stucco design. 

http://www.homedepot.com/s/siding%2520stuco?NCNI-5

I would personally tear out entire ceiling and install cement board.

Thank you Jeremy and  Michael for your quick answers. I am thinking of tearing the entire ceiling and replace it with something new that's maintenance free. If that's the case, will your choice be Vinyl, wood plank or plywood? And I believe all of them will need some kind of reinforcements to stick them to the wall.

Please advise.

I have decided to replace the entire ceiling with plywood. 

Thanks for all your input.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.