Advice for best DIY home repair books for landlords?

8 Replies

I have realized I have no idea on how to do basic home repairs, I would love to teach myself.  Do any of you have good advice on DIY books or videos that you can direct me to?  I would really appreciate it.  This would be for personal residence and landlording purposes.  Thanks guys!!!

214-690-9010

This one is good: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1589235371/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687442&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1589233565&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1MP7TJ4XKKF1A7HKJNMQ

there's also a series that Home Depot (I think?) puts out-- I don't remember the names, but I think they have 1,2,3 in the titles.

Youtube is a great resource as well for looking up some way to approach a task.

Home Depot is a great resource. 

They have free classes almost every Saturday/Sunday morning that will give you hands-on experience on with the techniques/tools that you'll need for any DIY project. 

Watch the Youtube videos, read the books, but eventually you will need to turn some screws because all trade skills require hands-on experience to do-well. 

You can learn how to do almost anything on Youtube.

I have a stack of home repair and improvement books, some 30 years old.  But the ONLY one I use currently is the 2006 International Residential Code.  These days google and youtube are your friends.  You can google up how to do almost anything and problem find a video showing you how to do it.

I learned a lot from the "For Pros by Pros" series of books.  Your local library is your friend.  Hit the home improvement section and check out a few on the topic you want to learn about.  Chances are you'll find one you like.

Thanks guys...and lady! :) Your quick response is much appreciated.  I will check out everything you mentioned.  Merry Christmas!!!

214-690-9010

Google and YouTube.  You can see it on the go on your phone and while your twisted upside down in a kitchen cabinet or whatever.  

I highly recommend the $20 'big orange book' at Home Depot.  Title is something like Home Improvement 101, or something like that. While I consider myself a fairly competent handyman, the book has several valuable tips that I had never thought of that make the job much easier and look better (such as hanging doors, trimwork, etc). 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.