New supply line

7 Replies

The house I bought a few weeks back had Pex run throughout.  I do not anticipate any issues with that but the neighbor begged me not to turn the main water supply on as he said it floods his basement. My meter is about 10 feet from the front of the house (which is on a crawlspace)

I was going to do some exploratory digging with the help of two local laborers. The supply line is currently cast iron and I am just going to plan on replacing it with pex.  

I am planning on hooking it up to the supply and running it 36" deep until it gets under the house.  anything else I should plan for? 

My parents had thier line replaced with pex. it was a 30' plus run. the company that did it didnt trench. they used some type of system where they pulled it through the existing hole. slick IMO. they dug down near rhe main shut off and attatched it to the pipe, I didnt see it but I would have paid money to see how they did it. 

It peaked my curiosity, so i searched a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0BpPkFhHc8

Originally posted by @Dirk Smithson :

My parents had thier line replaced with pex. it was a 30' plus run. the company that did it didnt trench. they used some type of system where they pulled it through the existing hole. slick IMO. they dug down near rhe main shut off and attatched it to the pipe, I didnt see it but I would have paid money to see how they did it. 

Dirk,

Sounds like a horizontal drilling set-up.   This is the same why most gas utilities run lines.

If you are running PEX outdoors for your supply from the curb, it needs to be shielded/sleeved.

@Roy N.  , 

do you mean like in a PVC pipe ? I can do that.  I was planning on putting it on a bed of gravel and putting sand on top of it.  

Originally posted by @Judd Campbell :

@Roy N. , 

do you mean like in a PVC pipe ? I can do that.  I was planning on putting it on a bed of gravel and putting sand on top of it.  

You could run it in a PVC conduit like you do with electrical wires, but you will still want a PEX tubing rated for outdoor use (a grade "A" PEX rated for outdoor use or a sleeved PEX like PEX-AL-PEX).   This is also a good time to upgrade your supply entrance from 1/2" to 3/4".

Originally posted by @Roy N. :
Originally posted by @Dirk Smithson:

Dirk,

Sounds like a horizontal drilling set-up.   This is the same why most gas utilities run lines.

If you are running PEX outdoors for your supply from the curb, it needs to be shielded/sleeved.

Why shielded/sleeved.? could this be code in one area and not in another. Just curious. My parents may have done theirs in copper. 

@Dirk Smithson  

It's a matter of the PEX being rated for outdoor use.  Most shielded/sleeved PEX is typically, rated for extreme temperature ranges (high/low) and will hold its shape and integrity better in those situations. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.