Tub/shower faucets.....

12 Replies

A question about faucets..... On a recent trip to Lowes, I was informed that the faucets with two handles (one for cold, one for hot) are no longer sold. So..... as I study my flipping project, I realized that both the tub/shower and the shower stall both have the two handle setup. Short of replacing the whole tub/shower enclosure, is there a solution for this? Or is there somewhere other than the big box stores where I can purchase new faucets in the old format?

What's wrong with the existing fauce?

Many of the older faucets have replacable seats/stems. 

They also make retrofit kits: A gaudy looking stanless steel plate that covers the old holes and allows for a modern single-handle faucet. 

And..... I've answered my own question. Thanks Google!! ;-)

The current ones are disgusting, so I'm hoping to replace them.

Locke supply sells 2 handle. And Lowes does as well.

The Lowes rep does not know what they are talking about.

Is it still disgusting once the handles and trim have been changed?  It should look brand new.

Originally posted by @Gretchen A. :

The current ones are disgusting, so I'm hoping to replace them.

The business end of the shower faucet is not visible (inside the wall)  and couldn't possibly look disgusting to a buyer/tenant. 

If it is working great,  but looks bad, replace the handles/trim. 

Always verify what any employee at Lowes or Home Depot tells you. There are a lot of knuckleheads working at big box home improvement stores.

@Michael Herr   -- you bring up a good point! Maybe I can just swap out the handles and not buy the whole works!!

You can absolutely swap the handles and valve stems. These old fixtures are meant to be fixed, not replaced like the junk you buy today.

And I whole heartily agree, big box store employees don't know anything more than you, they just 'work here'.

Plumbing fixtures is one of the things I no longer buy at Lowes. I spend the coin and go to a real plumbing supply store. The quality is immensely better, and if I pull a valve stem out of a fixture and show the guy at the counter, 9/10 he knows who makes it and the part to replace it without even reading the numbers stamped on it. The place I go to in my town is where plumbers/contractors go, and have accounts. Try to find a place like that.

Originally posted by @Gretchen A. :

A question about faucets..... On a recent trip to Lowes, I was informed that the faucets with two handles (one for cold, one for hot) are no longer sold. So..... as I study my flipping project, I realized that both the tub/shower and the shower stall both have the two handle setup. Short of replacing the whole tub/shower enclosure, is there a solution for this? Or is there somewhere other than the big box stores where I can purchase new faucets in the old format?

Plumbing code requires an anti-scald feature in any new shower valve, if you install a two handle you need to install a watts anti-scald  valve upstream of the hot water line, this valve has to be accessable. Much simpler to simply install a modern single handle valve that already will comply with the anti-scald code.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.