• Rental Property Investor
  • Douglas County, MO
Votes |
Try it, you'll like it!

Sylvia B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Douglas County, MO
Posted Jan 23 2015, 07:08

Too often, when talking about a project I'm working on, I hear something like, "Oh I could never do that! I don't know how." Well, if you don't try, you never will. I read an interesting story today that just might help someone jump out of analysis paralysis.

A pottery teacher split her class into two halves.

To the first half she said, "You will spend the semester studying pottery, planning, designing, and creating your perfect pot. At the end of the semester, there will be a competition to see whose pot is the best".

To the other half she said, "You will spend your semester making lots of pots. Your grade will be based on the number of completed pots you finish. At the end of the semester, you'll also have the opportunity to enter your best pot into a competition."

The first half of the class threw themselves into their research, planning, and design. Then they set about creating their one, perfect pot for the competition.

The second half of the class immediately grabbed fistfuls of clay and started churning out pots. They made big ones, small ones, simple ones, and intricate ones. Their muscles ached for weeks as they gained the strength needed to throw so many pots.

At the end of class, both halves were invited to enter their most perfect pot into the competition. Once the votes were counted, all of the best pots came from the students that were tasked with quantity. The practice they gained made them significantly better potters than the planners on a quest for a single, perfect pot.

In life, the best way to learn a skill is to make a lot of pots.

Source

Loading replies...