Curved shower rod

11 Replies

Opinions?

For a regular 32"X60" tub does having a curved shower rod really adds to the room enough to be appreciated BY A RENTER?

A regular shower rod is either secured by compression and screwed in, I assume the curved rod needs to be secured to the framing behind the wall?  What if the studs are not right at the edge of the tub?

Debating if I should change out all the shower rods to curved ones.

personally i would let the renter supply their own shower rod -- unless this is a high end rental. Most rentals i see -- the rods are broken often....and are using the spring loaded replacements

just my personal preference is the curved rods, that little extra does a lot. I hate the cold shower curtain billowing in and touching me.

There should Be Studs IN The wall, If NOT You Can Use Drywall anchors. 

(Sorry about the caps, my phone is misbehaving)

I love the idea of a curved shower curtain rod for my own home but not so much for my rentals. I prefer going with a cheaper spring loaded one in my smaller rental. If it is a higher end rental like Gabriel said then you may want to go with something nicer to attract the tenants to the higher rent. I just wouldn't be to happy if they broke it and I had paid that much more for it.

This something we are doing not only in complete rehab of units but also as a subtle improvement to the property. It is just one more thing to point out to prospective renters during the lead walk.

And to answer your question: yes! Most models are expandable to some degree to fit most any shower.

If the bathroom is done correctly there are studs right there. (studs should be near edge of tub to accommodate cement board to drywall seam) I used curved shower rods in all my rentals.  A curved shower rod is $30 and a crappy on is $10.

These are the type of things that can matter to a tenant,  but round off to $0 when I do my math.

Permanently installed shower rods (screws rather than spring tension) last longer and don't scuff up the wall as much.  

I would add the curved rod if your tenant base usually takes care of your properties. If they break everything, then go with the cheap one. I personally love the curved rod. It makes the tub feel so much bigger.

never new this would be a consideration... I vote for curved.  but I guess I am out of touch with what tenants want or need...

Think of it this way! 

It is a great "little" touch! Lots of little touches add up and in my area there is a definite "Ceiling" on rent. My ok house in a  great location and floor plan will rent for the same as a "over the top" house. Yes the later house might "go"quicker put most of the time people try to ask for more money exceeding the ceiling causing the house to sit. 

My vote is yes. A home that I rented had a bathtub along the outer wall of the 2nd floor. The eve of the roof came down over the tub. Not really a problem if you are of average height and taking a bath. When you are 6'3" and taking a shower, the more room the better! That tile wall got very cold during the winter months and believe me, I did not want to touch it with any part of my body.  As a renter, I paid for that myself and brought it with me when I moved. At my suggestion, the landlord installed one of his own after I left. He later told me that it scored big points with his next renter.

We avoid curved shower rods because of the need to anchor them in the tub surround (usually tile). Anything anchored almost always ends up being damaged by a tenant, towel bars, wall mounted make up mirrors, curved shower rods etc...

Bullet proofing rental properties is a big concern for us to create quite painless tenants, so adding anything with the potential to become an issue is heavily weighed via it's pros and cons. Few prospective tenants are going to notice a curved shower rod when viewing the property and deciding whether to rent or not.

The exception would be to an existing long term tenant with a proven track record of taking care of the property, in that case we might offer then the improvement as a thank you during their next lease term.

For all those who got curved shower rods, how did it work out for your rentals? Did it ever cause any problems or get damaged?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.