Selling back appliances

10 Replies

I just bought a house in Laurel, MD with a brand new, never used white electric range.  I'm guessing the seller bought it from Home Depot before selling the house.  

I don't want it and have already replaced it with a stainless steel model.  What's the best way for me to get money back for this appliance?

-"Return" it to Home Depot?  (I don't even know if they bought it there).
-Sell it on Craigslist?
-Sell it to a second-hand appliance shop?
-Sell it on BP?

Just trying to get max return with minimum hassle.  

Hi @Matt Vaughn , I had the exact same scenario with my last Laurel purchase. I had a full set of brand new white GE appliances though. I posted them on Craigslist as well as some REIA email blasts and got little interest of a "reasonable" price. I wound up just keeping the set and not changing out to Stainless. Since you've already replaced yours though, Craigslist might be the best option. Is this a flip you're doing?

Hense the almost final appearance lower right.

@Matt Vaughn  what is your time worth? Selling it on Craig's List will move it only if it's priced right. In my area, "new" usually runs about 50% of actual cost. For highly desirable units you can get more but they are few and far between. You can also post at a higher (up to 75% of new) amount and hope someone will come along an pay the price.

That's my experience. BTW LL are cheap so reselling you your REIA buddies would net even less than CL and flippers mostly only want stainless unless they are doing all white in which case they all must match and must be higher end.

It's doubtful you can return it without a receipt.

If you have the space to store it, keep it until you need it. 

If not, take whatever someone from craigslist wants to pay.

Really what are we talking about? A couple hundred bucks? Don't waste too much time thinking about it.  Maybe you should just donate it to Habitat for Humanity and just skip dealing with the Craigslist phone calls and tire kickers.

Are these from your personal home? Do you have any rental properties where you could use them? You should be able to find someone to buy them and transport them, just get the word out... try your house of worship, realtors, craigslist, used appliance stores, charities.

Thanks all for everyone's suggestions.  I appreciate your help.

@Matt Vaughn  

Something that you could try if you want to mess with it and as mentioned don't want to store them for another project is to find out if your area has a Facebook buy sell trade site and join it, post the pic/add and go about it that way. It usually works well for me in my area for just about anything. I even post my rental units there and get quite a response from it, its always worth my time.

Hi Matt,

Not sure how Home Depots are in your area, but the HDs in the NY area are wlling to take in / accept returns for practically anything they sell for 90 days, or provide a credit if it's been more than 90 days. Chances are, the range may have a serial number, so they should be able to set up a return based on that info.

Source: (2) of my step-kids worked at home depots locally, and they've told me the same info about returns acceptance.

Hope this helps!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.